prep time: 6 hours in advance, 30 minutes assembly serves: 8 difficulty: medium
- ½ cup (110g) fresh strawberries, quartered lengthwise
- ½ cup (120g) white sugar
- 1 orange, finely zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp (5 g) orange zest
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 1 grapefruit, finely zested and juiced
- 3 Tbsp (18 g) grapefruit zest
- ½ cup (125 ml) grapefruit juice
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lemon juice, fresh
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- ½ tsp (1.5 g) juniper berries, crushed
- ½ tsp (1 g) black peppercorn, whole
- 32 basil leaves, fresh
- 2 cups (480 ml) sparkling water
DIRECTIONSStrawberry Citrus Sugar (yields 1¼ cup or 250 g)
- In a small freezer bag, combine sugar, strawberries, orange zest, and grapefruit zest.
- Squeeze out air, seal, and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- In a small pot over high heat, bring ½ cup water to a boil.
- Add crushed juniper berries and black peppercorn. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pass through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids.
- Let sit to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the Strawberry Citrus Sugar to the Juniper Tea. (Ladle some stock into the bag and agitate to get the last bits of sugar, fruit and zest).
- Add the orange, grapefruit, and lemon juice. Stir gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Pass through a fine sieve to remove solids, gently pressing them to release more liquid, and reserve the candied strawberry sections for later.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- 2½ oz Justice Blend
- 6 oz sparkling water
- 4 basil leaves
- 3 candied strawberry sections
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, add 2½ oz of Justice Blend, 2 basil leaves and candied strawberry sections.
- Seal and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Empty contents of the cocktail shaker into a tall 12 oz glass.
- Pour in 6 oz sparkling water and stir to combine.
- To garnish, lightly slap 2 basil leaves in your hands to release their fragrance. Push the bottom ends of the leaves into the drink so that the leaves stand up; anchor them in place against a straw.
While drinking, ask yourself: What do justice and truth mean to me, personally and politically?